VANLIFE kiting

Anything kiteboarding related. Post where/when you're riding, upload pictures to share, share the stoke, links, tips/tricks... you get the idea.
Forsha

VANLIFE kiting

Post by Forsha » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Does anyone have good suggestions on off the beaten path camping/kiting spots in Manitoba? Looking for free or close to free camping/parking at a beach where we could kite directly from. The goal/plan is to do a couple few night trips in our campervan, camping/parking directly at the launch.

With the help of google earth, I've come up with a few potential sites along the west shore of lake winnipeg in the riverton area so far but this is of limited use with the typical winds we see. Please offer your suggestions. The main criteria:
1) overnight parking/camping permitted (or at least unlikely to be asked to move)
2) kiting accessible at the site
3) pit toilets (or real toilets) are a bonus but not required
4) the nicer/more scenic the better!

Thanks!
Paul

Myron
Forum Pro

Re: VANLIFE kiting

Post by Myron » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

I have kited at Riverton. Awesome spot for waves or flat water. There are paths in the bush that looked like people camped out in some privacy. Scarey, run down gazebos and change rooms and No services at the time. Things may have changed since. I imagine it to be popular with locals on weekends??

Windsurfed up at Matheson Island at the narrows in the north basin. Never kited though. Cool ferry ride across. We drove /camped on the rocky beach on the North side. Chill locals. We had a huge convoy go up there. Another trip, the Former mayor allowed us to camp on the shoreline in front of his property. Fisherman ferried some of us by boat to the Fisher coop to load all our coolers with ice after it all melted prematurely on a super hot day. Gave us pickeral cheeks to bbq up.

Always wanted to try here but it's a long way.
Dropped pin
Near Long Point Rd, MB
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vh2q2gygkfKYua1P9

Here too…
For the amazing cyan colored water.
Little Limestone Lake
Division No. 21, Unorganized, MB
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8eoUdzfyn4Fwj3c1A

I think all those spots could have unexpected visitors though.
"the best ride... was my last ride." 🏄‍♂️😎🤙

John Ladd
Forum Pro

Post by John Ladd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

west side lake Mb. has a couple spots. Hollywood beach is one. Also long point just north of Lundar. I believe you need permission to camp little limestone.
You can't walk a mile in another mans shoes but you can do a lot of bowling.

bbeveridge

Post by bbeveridge » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am

John, where is Hollywood beach exactly?

bbeveridge

Post by bbeveridge » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am

Found it , north of Langruth, it's on Google Maps...could be promising today/tomorrow but a bit longer to drive than Gimli.

andrew
Boost Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:46 am

Man, if you have the time to explore, those places Myron linked to look sweet. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere though, so I wouldn't want to be going alone. :shock:

bobvandenbroek

Post by bobvandenbroek » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 am

Dave "5Crashes" and I are heading there this afternoon.

John Ladd
Forum Pro

Post by John Ladd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:30 am

andrew wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:46 am
Man, if you have the time to explore, those places Myron linked to look sweet. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere though, so I wouldn't want to be going alone. :shock:
Yeah the spots that "MYRON" mentioned are awesome! I have explored most conceivable kite spots on the south basin of lake Manitoba and a few in the north basin. Yes, a couple I would not feel comfortable alone. I've been trying to drum up excitement to do a lake Mb. tour for a couple years now. I circumnavigated the south basin and it worked out perfect SE on the west side then SW on the east second leg. Maybe this year? Would be cool to rent a motor home for a support vehicle, food storage cooking etc.
You can't walk a mile in another mans shoes but you can do a lot of bowling.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Beaconia Beach an option too.

http://www.beaconiabeach.ca/