Making my way up to Cranberry Portage. Suggestions?

Anything kiteboarding related. Post where/when you're riding, upload pictures to share, share the stoke, links, tips/tricks... you get the idea.
Animal

Making my way up to Cranberry Portage. Suggestions?

Post by Animal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi
I am going to be making my way to CP with a mandatory stop in swan river Fri and Sat before. Starting on Tuesday and would love some suggestions of what I must see and do between the 2 stops. please and thanks. Been so many place but see so little of MB!
Rich mentions steep rock a must!

Animal

Re: Making my way up to Cranberry Portage. Suggestions?

Post by Animal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Animal

Post by Animal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 pm

Inspirational

mcdunc
Forum Pro

Post by mcdunc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53 am

Yes....inspirational.

Steep Rock would be good. On the way up you could stop at St. Ambroise, Twin Beaches, Laurentia Beach (Dave's place), Oak Point, and Lundar Beach. You could also try Long Point, 3 km north and 2 west of Lundar Beach, the area west of Eriksdale on Hwy 417 and Watchorn Prov Park on 237 west of Moosehorn. The Narrows might have a good spot for kiting but you'd have to talk to Riley. Check out Dauphin Lake just east of Dauphin. You can also kite the north shore of Clear Lake.

I have windsurfed at Cranberry Portage, but there is enough grassy area at the campground beach that you could kite there too. Between Cranberry and Swan River, I don't know of many places although the Easterville road runs by many potential spots. Some would require a bit of 4x4 driving to access. Once you get further north many of the spots are boat launches with not much open space for a kite. A lot depends on the route you decide to travel... it can be a long way from one launch to another.

Enjoy your trip!

tpotapoff

Post by tpotapoff » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:44 am

Clearwater lake provincial park is nice... just past the pas.... not necessarily for kiting... but I hear it’s a great place for tow up kiting (just ask Riley P). There are some caves you can hike to on the lake (ask around and people will tell you). Sam’s snack bar is on the lake (clear blue water) mile 25 is a good place for a snack. Also lake trout fishing is good on Clearwater....

We (Malina, Audrey and myself) might be in bakers narrows (just north of cp) this weekend not sure yet though.

Have fun... what’s bring you up to cranberry portage.
Trev

Animal

Post by Animal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks Trev
Friday and Saturday having an extended family pow wow. Golf and rodeo. I have a friend that lives in CP and had promised to visit since 12 years ago lol!
H

bobvandenbroek

Post by bobvandenbroek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:04 am

BellaCiao is great for starters, but if you're driving that far, you're gonna need this Jam;

Animal

Post by Animal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks